Thursday, May 27, 2010

...As A Dog!

Man, I don't know how or where I picked up this nasty bug I've got, but I am down for the count tonight.

It hit me pretty suddenly--I was dozing on the couch, sleeping through SportsCenter a couple of hours ago, and BAM! It was like a race with the devil to do the high-speed duck-walk the fifteen steps or so to the bathroom else I'd lose my entire cleaning deposit on getting the carpets shampooed replaced.

I don't know how it's possible, but I've been going off like the Bellagio fountains at both ends every ten minutes or so. It's gotten so bad that I'm tempted to sleep in the tub, just to be safe... Although, after the last bout, which was the most severe, I feel a little better, and I've been able to keep this glass of ice-water down for going on five minutes now.

(Hey, y'all want details, I've got details!)

Besides the involuntary purging of my innards, how did the rest of my Wednesday go? Well, I'm glad you asked...

I had to get up waaaay to early for my liking and haul my tired ass down to job #1 for my orientation. I finally met my new boss, and he told me that yep, after this current 'surge' dies down after the World Series, he's gonna keep 10-12 of us on FULL TIME. Oh hell yeah! Of course, there will probably be 30 or more dealers competing for those jobs, but I like my chances. Then I spent the morning doing paperwork, getting my picture taken, etc. etc. etc. The worst part was at the end, when the Human Resources guy took us on a tour of the property.

That sucked like nobody's business. First of all, half of us were in dress shoes, expecting to be sitting in a meeting room all day. And second of all, I didn't bring my sunglasses with me and half of the damn tour was outside. What made it worse is that he stretched it out like it we were walking around the Pentagon, going into the minutia of every little feature we came across. I know it's a necessary evil, but every one of us who got hired were locals, and we've all stayed at the hotel on numerous occasions in the past. Hell, except for the behind-the-scenes stuff, I could've given the tour.

But I put on my smiling and enthusiastic face and toughed it out, although I was suffering from the bright sun and uncomfortable shoes for about the last twenty minutes or so. Everyone was glad when it ended, that's for sure.

After I escaped from there, I made my way over to the poker room at the Orleans again. Now that I've had a taste of Omaha, I'm really diggin' it.

Unfortunately, it didn't go so well this time around. Every time I made a King-high flush, somebody had the Ace-high. I got quads again, and again it was against one single opponent, who stuck around to make the nut-low, so basically I just got my own money back, minus half the rake. Ugh.

I couldn't make a draw, and none of my 'made' hands were quite good enough. I burned through almost $200 before giving up in disgust. I think I need to pull out the old copy of 'Super System' and study up a bit before I go back and throw myself to the wolves again. Obviously, I was doing something wrong.

On the other hand, while waiting for a seat, I met a really nice gal and spent about an hour chatting her up. I was sitting at a dead table, minding my own business and she came over and sat down in the seat right next to me and struck up a conversation. It was the only bright spot of the afternoon.

Oh, I almost forgot--a lot of people have been asking about how I'm going to be able to juggle the schedule of two jobs. Actually--it's pretty easy. Job #1 wants me to work days, from 11-7, and job #2 wants me to work swing from 7-till whenever. No time to get between the two, right? No problemo there. Boss #1 told me today that I can have an Early Out on any of the days that I'm doing a double--it seems that most of the temps have secondary jobs, so he's completely flexible. Nice, huh?

As it turns out, I start at job #2 this Friday night and work all weekend, but I don't start job #1 until next Saturday on the new schedule. So I guess today is my last day of freedom for awhile, aside from next Thursday, but after that, I'm gonna be scarce.

Later--

Mikey

No comments: