Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Kill the Damn Groundhog Already

Well, when I got up and left the house this morning, it was sunny but a little breezy outside. I spent a few hours at school, and when I went back outside, it was gray, cold, and blustery. I swear the temperature dropped about 20 degrees in less than four hours. I was watching CNBC this morning, and they were showing the snow falling in Times Square and playing Christmas music. That's cool for New York and all, but damn, here it is in the middle of the farking desert and it's freezing cold. And my roommate just came back from a job in Summerlin and told me that it was snowing up there, too.

School was ok today, but an eye-opener. I spent a little time dealing for the other students, and didn't mess up too badly at all. But right after I was finished, another guy took over and he was just awful. He always dealt a third card to the small blind, he never got the rake right, and misread a couple of hands. Yeah, we're students and school is the place to make those mistakes--but I was so much better than this guy was, and he's already got a job offer from Treasure Island! Seriously, I felt bad for the guy, because the instructor just sat there shaking his head the whole time, and at one point leaned over and whispered to me I hope this guy actually gets to keep his new job...

So as much work as I have ahead of me, I feel my prospects for finding a decent job are pretty good when I finish. Also, another guy came in, telling us that he got a hired for the World Series of Poker later on this spring. That would be fun to do, but I know I'm not ready for that. Besides, that's seven weeks of 15-hour days, seven days a week. The money is good, but I could never pull that off and hope to keep my current job.

Anyhow, after I got out of school, I made a quick run over to the Green Valley library to finally return my overdue books--I put them in the back seat of the sled a couple weeks ago and forgot that they were there until I got the overdue notice in the mail the other day. Oops. Then I made a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up a bag of ice and a jar of jalepenos. It's my weekend and I'll need the ice to help me dispose of all this rum I have lying around my room--courtesy of the parties during March Madness. I swear I have so many damn bottle sitting around that my bedroom looks like Nicholas Cage's motel room in Leaving Las Vegas.

But the jalepenos are for my stuffy nose. Because I'm all about the natural remedies...

Mikey

No comments: