Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Where Did the Year Go?


Wow, is it already the end of 2009? I don't seem to remember much of it...

It seems that the older I get, the faster the calendar moves. I'm sure that's the same for everyone, but I'm wondering if it would seem slower if I didn't have a bunch of monthly bills coming at me on a regular basis. If I didn't owe anybody a dime, I'm guessing that life would seem much slower. But that's just a guess.

I hope everyone enjoyed Josie's poker story yesterday--I was certainly glad that she shared it. I really like hearing about big wins, because lord knows, I hear enough bad beat stories every week at work. Besides that, it was nice that I was able to extend my vacation from the keyboard for another day. I've just been so tired and run down these last few days that I haven't felt creative or particularly motivated, either.

On the other hand, the reason for my lack of writing has been that I've been working my ass off. In the past seven days, I've worked more than I have in the previous four weeks combined. And I'm not even exaggerating--I have literally worked more in the last week than I did for a month. That's good for the wallet, but man, it's tough to go from being a gentleman of leisure to being worked like a mattress at Tiger's house (too soon?). I'm glad that the famine is over, but I sure ain't complaining about the fact that the game broke down after just a couple of hours last night and I got to come home early.

I'll chill out for today, but then I work the next two nights, and then I get the highly-coveted 7:00 am shift on New Years Day. Oh yeah, that'll be a great day of work. Actually, I don't mind. I don't care if it's busy or slow, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be out after just four hours anyways. I'll come home and watch the bowl games and just doze for the rest of the day. Besides, I'm off the next day, so I'm looking forward to finally being able to relax for a bit.

Feast or famine--that's my world.

So what else is going on? Well, not much, to be honest with you. My Christmas basically sucked. Oh, I got to talk to the whole family and I unwrapped a few nice gifts, but I was stuck here and I did the hard eight at work that night. And now that my gal Stephanie of Christmas Past has up and gotten herself married, I didn't have my usual holiday companion to stay out all night on Christmas Eve and goof off with.

Instead, I stayed in and drank some spiked eggnog and watched a bunch of Christmas shows that I recorded. BTW, A Christmas Story is still an all-time great, and White Christmas is about the corniest thing I've ever seen. And if you ever stumble across Christmas at Belmont on PBS, watch it--it's probably my favorite holiday show, although it makes me sad that I wasn't able to be in Nashville.

I wish I had some interesting stories to tell today, but lately my life has been a fairly predictable and repetitive cycle of working and sleeping. I truly haven't done anything interesting in awhile, and I haven't even been able to dive into that stack of books everyone sent. I guess the highlight of the week was watching my new copy of The Hangover yesterday. Great flick, and it reminded me that if I ever get married, I gotta go with the sky-blue ruffled tuxedo. Oh, and it also reminded me that if all the hookers in this town looked like Heather Graham, I'd probably have a whole lot less poker money...

Y'all have wonderful Tuesday--I'm going to bed.

Mikey

No comments: