Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Soundtrack To My Life

This quiz has been making it's way around Facebook, but lacking anything interesting to say today, I thought I'd share it here..

1. What song reminds you of your first love? Sara by Bill Champlin. Candice Withers, little black dress, New Years Eve 1982-83

2. What song reminds you of a bad breakup? Collide by Howie Day. One of Sticky's favorite songs, she loaded it on my iPod a couple of years ago.

3. What song reminds you of your parents? Tijuana Taxi by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass reminds me of my Dad because we listened to the 8-track about a thousand times while driving all over Tennessee when I was a kid, and 500 Miles by Peter, Paul, and Mary reminds me of my Mom because she practiced it over and over again for an audition back in the 70's.

4. What song reminds you of high school? When Doves Cry by Prince. Back in '84, it was a HUGE hit, and the big scandal was that rumor was that nobody under 17 was allowed in the concert.

5. What song reminds you of college? Understanding Jane by the Icicle Works. I love me some Icicle Works, and this was a big hit in the late 80's that reminds me of trying to getting freaky with Theresa Monson under a sleeping bag while all five of my roommates were home. Also Red Red Wine by UB40, because it seemed like every time I wandered through the girls dorms, the Samoan chicks were playing it, loud.

6. What song reminds you of your current (or last) significant other? Rapture by Blondie. I don't have a significant other at the moment, but there's one gal I really like a lot and every time I see her, it seems that I hear this song.

7. What song reminds your of your best friend? Beautiful Girls by Van Halen. Drinking beer in the parking lot of the strip club with Eddie and Keith. Good times!

8. What song makes you smile every time you hear it? Paradise City by GNFNR. It's so well produced that I just can't help but get a kick out of listening to it--it makes me want to drive fast, work the speed bag, and do a shot, all at the same time.

9. What song do you listen to when you are depressed? Good Times by the Hoodoo Gurus if I want to get out of the funk. It's one of those songs that you can't help but bounce your head to and start giggling when you hear it. If I'm wallowing in it, I'll listen to I Wish It Would Rain Down by Phil Collins.

10. What song do you listen to when you are angry? You Could Be Mine by GNFNR. Nobody did anger like Axl, and this is some of his finest work.

11. What song makes you think about being in love? I Love You by Climax Blues Band. Great song, very underrated, and timeless all at once. Great for a slow dance with a significant other.

12. What song can you not help but sing along to in the car when it is on? Runaway Train by Soul Asylum. I don't know why, but I've always liked this song, and even as badly as I sing, I can still pull it off, at least in my mind.

13. What song do you sing along to, but would immediately stop if someone heard you? Build Me Up Buttercup by The Foundations. Don't be a hater, everyone has a skeleton like this in their closet.

14. What song would you have played (or did have played) at your wedding? Come Away With Me by Norah Jones. Either this one or I Got You Babe, by Sonny and Cher.

15. What song would you like to have played at your wake? Old and Wise by The Alan Parsons Project. Very sad, but a powerful farewell song. But then, a wake is supposed to be fun, so after that, I'd have them play Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone by Glass Tiger.

BONUS QUESTIONS:

16. What song blows you away by how good it is? Hallelujah by Alison Crowe. Just an amazing song--lyrics by Leonard Cohen and it belongs up there in the pantheon of Greatest Songs Ever. I'd love to hear Jakob Dylan cover it, too.

17. What song amazes you that it's so popular because it's so damn sucky? Pretty much anything nowadays, but the leader in the clubhouse has got to be Magic Man by Heart, and Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band is cringe-worthy, too.

18. What song do you listen to over and over again, driving other people crazy? Pump It by the Black Eyed Peas. I can't help myself, it's a catchy tune.

19. One CD only for a road trip. Which one to you take? That's easy, The Joshua Tree by U2.

20. Favorite musician who is no longer with us? Toss up between Stevie Ray Vaughn and Dean Martin. Seriously. Stevie was my favorite guitarist, and I loved his gravelly blues voice, and Dino was probably the best vocalist to ever trod the earth.


Mikey

No comments: