Monday, December 14, 2009

Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon

Well, here I was complaining about how slow it was at work and how poor I was gonna be, and it seems that things have turned around pretty quickly. Suddenly, I'm very busy. Late on Friday night, closer to Saturday morning, I got called into work.

That was nice.

And then on Saturday night/Sunday morning, my phone rang again, asking if I could get down there to the poker room within the hour. Of course I was all over that! But as soon as I got out of the shower and got dressed, the phone rang again, telling me to go into a holding pattern. One game broke and another one was short-handed. No problem there. While I would like to go in and pick up a couple of hours, it wouldn't do much good if a bunch of games broke up. Turns out, they didn't need me after all, but it was a good sign--if we were that busy on the weekend, I figured we'd get a little carry-over to Sunday night. That's usually our slowest night.

So I worked last night, and was happy that we had a good game that held together for most of the night, so I made some decent money again. In fact, I was so pumped up about working a real shift again that I drove off and left a hundred bucks worth of my tips sitting in a rack on the counter in the poker room. Completely forgot about it!

I didn't realize it until I got home and did my usual post-shift accounting and thought Hey, I made good money last night... (pause) Doh!

So I called back down there and the floorman said he'd cash the chips for me and have it waiting in an envelope with the cashier. Whew... Disaster avoided. I would've hated to work all night for a hundred bucks less than I actually made.

As far as that other epic post I was talking about--well, it's on the shelf for awhile. I worked on it for a few hours on Sunday, but then it just wouldn't flow, so I bagged it, temporarily. I'll revisit it this weekend, but right now, I'm just not feelin' it. I thought it would be easy, especially on the heels of the Great Alaskan Road Trip, but I was mistaken. Besides, I've got plenty to keep me busy this week, as I'm working the next three nights and on-call all weekend. It'll get done, just not as soon as everyone is hoping.

That's all for now.

Mikey

PS--A shout out to Jamie in PA for the book and the CD. Thanks again!

No comments: