Friday, December 18, 2009

The Friday Morning Martini Club

To paraphrase Brother Jimmy, It's five a.m. somewhere...

Yep, here it is not even 6:00 in the morning, and I'm sitting at the keyboard like a low-rent Hemingway, sipping on a martini. Ain't it great being a degenerate? Believe me, it's not my usual routine, but I went to bed around 8:30 last night, slept like a rock, and woke up feeling 100% better. I thought about putting on a pot of coffee when I got up, but when I opened the fridge, I saw a carton of eggnog staring back at me. Plus, I have all that booze in the dining room--and if you can't drink during the holidays, when can you drink? Besides, I've got nowhere to be today, so why not?

So I put the coffee on the back burner, so to speak, and busted out the martini tools. Actually, the drink I made is fairly simple. I just took eggnog, added peppermint schnapps, loaded a couple of ice cubes into the stainless steel chalice of happiness, and gave it a shake-shake-shake. Garnished with a candy cane stick, I was good to go.



It's actually quite tasty and festive, perfect for the holidays. Hell, I've even got the Sounds of the Seasons channel playing in the living room, so it seems that I'm just a couple of elves short of a full-on Christmas party. Of course, even a host with my extensive list of contacts and resources might have trouble rounding up a few elves at this hour, so we'll just keep this low-key for today. Maybe next Friday I'll expand the guest list. Oh wait--next Friday is Christmas. I'll probably just expand the drink selection instead.

I know that most people use bourbon or brandy during the holidays to spice up their eggnog. Y'all know that I prefer to use rum, myself. But peppermint schnapps is pretty damn good, too. I think I've got a bottle of creme de cocoa hiding out there somewhere, so maybe next time around I'll add some of that to the mix.

It'd probably be good to add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg on top of the drink, but since I'm not much of a baker and have neither of those ingredients on hand, my cocktail shall remain unsprinkled for now. But even so, it still tastes damn good. And with it, I raise a toast to all of you working stiffs headed back to your cubes today, wishing that instead of doing your TPS reports, you could be living the carefree life of leisure like me.

But do not despair, my friends. The weekend is just a few short hours away!

Mikey

No comments: