Thursday, December 18, 2008

Going Back For Seconds

I just couldn't help myself. After having such a good breakfast at the Omelet House yesterday, I didn't eat again all day or night, then worked all night, and by the time I got out of the casino, I was hungry again. So I had to go back.

But more about that in a bit...

So after I posted the pictures of the snowstorm yesterday afternoon, I did the only sensible thing I could thing of. I bundled up in sweats, wool socks, and a flannel shirt, and crawled back into bed.

I set my alarm for midnight, and avoided all the bad weather and traffic accidents that I was sure were raging around outside the safety of my house. The first thing I did once the alarm went off was to go and check to see how much more snow we had gotten. It was about six inches deep on the balcony, and the Strip was nowhere in sight--we were good and fogged in.

So I showered, shaved, and got dressed, and left for work about ten minutes earlier than usual. There was no traffic, of course, but I was worried that the roads might be iced over. Anyhow, when I went downstairs, there was yet another package from the UPS man on the entryway table. One of my anonymous readers, Helaine from CT (who I've never spoken to, met, got an email from, nor do I recall her ever commenting here) sent me the Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels DVD. At least she included a nice note so that I'd know who she was. So Helaine--thank you very much! And don't be so shy!

Anyhow, I sat there waiting for the truck to warm up, and the six inches of wet snow that my truck was buried under was too heavy for my windshield wipers to work. I don't have a snow scraper or anything like that, but I had a clipboard behind the drivers seat, so I used that to scrape my windows. The neighborhood roads were slippery as hell, and just getting up the slight grade to the stoplight was interesting, but after that, it was smooth sailing.

Work kinda sucked--there was a shorthanded limit game, and a decent no-limit game going, but between the two tables I had to deal with three of the biggest douchebags on the planet. Eventually, the 4-8 game broke, and I got locked into the no limit game, but it was just three-handed for about two hours. And one of the three players was one of the jerkoffs I was hoping would go home. Luckily some kid sucked out on him in a $600 pot, and the other player got him a few minutes later for a couple hundred more. That put an end to the game, and I called it a night at 6:00 am this morning.

So when I left work, I was hungry, and I figured I'd hit the Omelet House again. So I drove over to Boulder Highway, and when I got there, the place was all dark and closed up. WTF? It was like 6:15 in the morning. What kind of breakfast joint doesn't open at 6:00 am? So, I kept on driving.

I figured I'd head over the the Flea-esta for some $5 Pai Gow while I waited. The casino looked deserted when I pulled in, but wouldn't you know it, the only full table in the entire joint was the one single Pai Gow game. Just my luck. I wandered a bit, and finally decided to try my luck at the $3 craps table. Nobody else was playing, and they only had one end open, so I stepped up and bought in for a hundy.

I mostly broke even for about a half hour, making a few bets here and there for the dealers. But I couldn't get over the hump. Well, at one point, I was up about $25 and I should've stopped there, because then the table went ice cold. I had $125 worth of chips in front of me, and about $60 in action on the table when I sevened out and it just went downhill from there.

I couldn't get anything going at all, but since I was the only player at the table, I had nobody to blame but myself. At one point, I was down to my last $14 when I finally hit my number. I came roaring back after that, and went on one of those epic rolls that dice shooters dream about. Of course, it was just a $3 table, and I was only doing minimum bets on the line, and Come bets with 2x odds. Once I got paid twice, I'd press 'em a unit.

Luckily, the dice gods were with me because I hit a two-way hard four to start off my hot streak, and that put another $35 worth of bullets in my holster, so then it was off to the races. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished, and just as I started really getting paid off, three old dickheads showed up and ruined my perfectly good roll by splashing chips all over the layout and prop-betting themselves broke, slowing down the game and killing my mojo. I swear I wanted to kick all three of them in the nuts.

When I finally sevened out a few minutes later, I had turned my $14 into $285. Woot!

Color me up, boys, Mikey is outta here!

We didn't chase you off, did we? asked one of the old farts.

Yeah you did, betting like jackasses, confusing the dealers, and ruining the flow of the game...

I hope they all went broke.

Besides all the bets I made for the dealers, I left 'em the two red chips and walked with $275. I hit the cage and then hit the exit. By then, the sun was up and I was sure the restaurant was open.

So I headed back over there, and yeah, it was open for business. I ended up at the exact same table I had the day before, and ordered a cup of coffee. Sadly, my new favorite waitress Marcie wasn't around, and I was stuck with another gal who wasn't nearly as enthused to be serving me.

This time, I had to go upscale, so I ordered the lobster, avocado, and Jack cheese omelet. And instead of toast, I got the warm banana bread. And a tall glass of juice. The coffee was very good--just what I needed to take the chill off, and just a few minutes later I had a huge slice of banana nut bread with whipped butter in front of me. Oh yeah, it was wonderful. I sat there enjoying that with my coffee, and I swear, I could've made a meal out of that. It kind of reminded me of eating at my favorite breakfast spot in San Diego, Hob Nob Hill, with their famous coffee cake. It comes with each meal, but I prefer toast with my breakfast, so I always order some on the side. The banana bread at the Omelet House is just as good. Next time, I'm having toast with my meal, just as God intended, but I'm getting a side of warm banana bread, because dammit, you only live once.

While I was sitting there, I noticed that everyone around me was ordering the pumpkin bread, so I asked the waitress if I could try that, too. She brought me some a few minutes later, and as good as it was, I think I prefer the banana bread. The pumpkin bread was tasty, but it reminded me of a not-quite-as-good version of my sister Sherry's famous holiday pumpkin roll, minus the cream cheese frosting, so it came up a little short.

Eventually, my omelet arrived, along with a huge side of their sliced, seasoned, and deep-fried spuds. One bite was all I needed to be convinced that I'd made a good choice--Oh hell yeah, it was even better than I imagined. Something about the combo of avocado and melted Jack cheese, with big chunks of lobster mingled in that just arouses the taste buds. Man, it was goooooood. But it was rich. There was no way I was finishing that monster. I gave it the ol' college effort, but in the end, I was reduced to picking through the eggs looking for bits of lobster and avocado, not wanting to waste one bit of the best ingredients, regardless of how full I was.

My breakfast tab came to about $16, which wasn't bad considering that I had one of the more expensive items on the menu, an extra side of pumpkin bread, and the usual restaurant tradition of gouging on the fruit juice.

Once I finished my third cup of coffee, I paid the tab and headed on back to the homestead. All the snow has pretty much melted off of the roads, but the ground, buildings, and trees are still covered, so it still looks kinda cool outside. I'm guessing that it'll all be gone by tomorrow, which is just fine by me.

The rest of my day? No plans at all. I've got to work late tonight, so I won't be going out unless I get really bored and need to scratch my poker itch.


PS: I stand corrected--it was not 'Kevin the Weatherman' who sent the Dean Martin CD. Whoever it was, please email me!

No comments: