Monday, December 01, 2008

'Truth' And Consequences

Ok, since I've been accused of being a racist, it's time to set the record straight.

First of all, unless I'm burning a cross in your yard, spraying you with a fire hose out on the street, or keeping you from eating at my lunch-counter or drinking from my water fountain, just shut the fark up. If you want to see some real racism, hop in the time-machine (and remember--all the way to the back, if you please) and transport your hypersensitive ass back about 50 years to Mississippi or Alabama.

Then you'll get an idea what racism is. Saying that I want to buy shoes that white people would wear, is not.

But let's break it down, using your own words.

You want shoes white people would wear? Who do you think is buying all of those shoes? White boys in the suburbs. Spare us all your racial comments that are utterly ridiculous and do nothing but separate people further.

"White boys in the suburbs"? That just as much of an 'utterly ridiculous racial comment' as I made about my shoes, according to your logic. Apparently, you are just as guilty as I am. Unless, of course, you're applying a double standard.

And as far as separating people further goes, seriously, how the hell is that gonna happen? What kind of idiot would read that I want to buy white people's shoes and then say to themselves "Man, that's it--I can't take it no more with these racist a-holes! I'm gonna go live in an Asians-only dorm, or join the Gay Student Association, or maybe even the Congressional Black Caucus." Only someone who is actively looking to separate themselves would take offense and feel slighted. People with an ounce of common sense wouldn't think twice about it. And do you notice who is joining all of these exclusionary organizations? It ain't the white boys from the suburbs.

Funny, I doubt you would say that to a person of color, but prefer to safely make snide racial comments behind the protection of your computer screen.

Really? You think I wouldn't say that to a 'person of color'? Clearly you don't know me very well. I say whatever the hell I want to whoever I want whenever I want, as is my right. Of course, I don't go out of my way to antagonize people, but if somebody is being a dumbass, regardless of their skin color, I'm gonna let 'em know about it. Brother Martin wouldn't have it any other way.

One of my poker buddies who I hang out with all the time is a Buckwheat hairdo havin', fist-waving, Obama-votin' friend of Malcolm, yet we get along just fine. He told me that he has no problem with me preferring shoes that white people would wear, either. And I wasn't hiding behind my computer screen at the time, either. Besides, if a black guy wasn't offended by an offhand remark like that, it just tells me that you need to man up and un-wad your panties, Sally. Perhaps you should also bootstrap yourself up and out of the Caste of the Perpetually Offended while you're at it.

But seriously, making snide racial comments from behind the protection of my computer screen? Is that what you think I'm doing? We won't even bother with the 'snide' part, but I'm not the anonymous one in this conversation. Most of my readers know my name, where I work, what kind of vehicle I drive, and my license plate number. And they certainly know what I look like. I've never hidden from anyone. If people want to come out here and talk to me, I've never once turned anyone down. That's hardly hiding behind the safety of my computer screen. You, on the other hand, chose to comment with a fake name and no valid email address. Tell me again, please, who is the one who is hiding?

I could go on and on but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. Just remember that there are plenty of comments one could make about you but don't.

Oh please do, go on and on--I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts of what a bigot I am. But since when did this become personal? I didn't direct any comments to anyone in particular, but you seem to have felt that it was directed at you and wish to come back and attack me personally. Seriously dude, get some thicker skin. You're really starting to sound like a pussy now.

Moving on, it seems that our friend 'truth' tries to cover his tracks, yet logic isn't a featured ingredient in his recipe. Let's have a little taste:

First, let me say that as this is a public blog and any- and everyone is allowed to read and comment. Mikey opens himself up to how readers respond. That's what this comment section is for.

Uh, dude, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. This is by no stretch of the imagination a public blog. It is a very private blog, and while everyone is allowed to read, not everyone is allowed to comment. If someone is annoying, insulting, or just being a dumbass, I will block them with--if you'll excuse the term--extreme prejudice. This corner of the internet is not a pure democracy where everyone has a say and a right to their opinion. It's more of a benevolent dictatorship where everyone is invited to participate as long as they don't piss me off too much or insult me or my friends. My house, my rules. Goonie goo-goo, Gus.

So for the comment that if I don't like what is written, don’t read: I’ve been a longtime reader and if I choose to comment, I will. I have the choice to say nothing or to say something. And I did. By that same thinking, if you didn’t like my comments or agree with them, you shouldn’t have read them.

Holy shiat--the absolute stupidity of that comment boggles the mind. But it's so tasty that I have to get another slice of that pie...

By that same thinking, if you didn’t like my comments or agree with them, you shouldn’t have read them.
The point my other, more articulate, reader was trying to make is that if you don't like what I have to say, nobody is forcing you to come here and get your feelings hurt. To say that one shouldn't have read your comments if they don't agree with them makes absolutely no sense at all, besides being a damn near physical impossibility. Comparing your one comment to my entire body of work on this site isn't exactly an apples-to-apples exercise, either. It's more like comparing apples to monkey shiat (oh damn, there I go being racist again!). Your logic seems to have been dipped repeatedly in the Bucket of Fail.

Anyhow, it just gets tedious after that, but I like how he plays the 'elite' card against Dougie.

The shoes I wear? Marc Jacobs. I doubt you know who that is, but they are not gangsta.
Really? Why would you doubt that Dougie knows who Marc Jacobs is? Is he not sophisticated enough? What prompted that comment? More of your assumptions. You told Dougie to keep his latent racism to himself, but here you go assuming that he's sort of backwoods rube who's never heard of designer shoes. Anyone with an internet connection can look up Marc Jacobs, and judging from that link that CoolPacific put up, anyone who not only wears, but pays for, those ugly-assed things deserves all of the insult and derision they get.

The ramblings take a few twists and turns, but thankfully, eventually we come to the conclusion:

[F]or some reason, my comments turned into an assumption that I am black, which I am not.
Really? I didn't see anyone making that assumption in my comment section. I've read all of the follow-up comments between your first comment and your second one, and the only mention of skin was Jamie saying that yours was 'thin'. To paraphrase one of my favorite 'persons of color'-- Thin ain't no color I never heard of!

It appears more likely that you just *wish* people would think you were black, just so you can stand on your self-righteous soapbox a little longer, when the 'Truth' is that nobody here gives a flying booger what color you are. 'Dumbass' can be found all across the spectrum, and it's pretty easy to spot. Especially in your case.

Here's a piece of free advice--If you start to think that everyone else is a racist, maybe it's time to look in the mirror. Other people aren't the problem.



Mikey

No comments: