Friday, August 15, 2008

You Shoulda Heard 'Em Just Around Midnight

Hey gang--as much as I'd like to do a lengthy detail-filled post, I'm just too tired.

I've worked nine days straight, and I won't have a day off again until Tuesday. Yep, the poker world is a busy place.

The quick and dirty--worked a half-day today yesterday, skated out at 5:00 pm, met up with one of my 'lurkers' for drinks at the Evil Empire, then had dinner at The Range, compliments of Gary Loveman. Great conversation, great food, great company. Had a wonderful time--full details to follow as soon as I get some free time.

I rolled out of the neon Death Star around 10 pm, came straight home, and thought about playing another online tourney. Instead, I decided to watch Sticky again, she did ok, but not as well as she hoped. I was thinking that I was too tired to play by then, but before logging off, I saw that there was one seat still available at a $33 sit-n-go. So I took it.

My timing was off a little--I was playing hands that were iffy, and folding hands I should've played, but I blame it on fatigue. Not that I didn't do well--I was supremely confident that I'd make it to the cash, but it was one of the tougher tables I'd played at this week--lots of guys who had only one move in their repertoire--All in! So I waited and snapped off a couple of them when they thought they could bully, and it worked for me. But by the time we got down to three players, the other guys had me covered about 3-to-1 in chips. The blinds were getting up there, and I had to push with King-Nine suited. One guy called, and had King-Ten. And for what seems like the first time in the history of PokerStars, the better hand held up...

Anyhow--I'm having a good week at the digital poker tables--which is great because I don't have time to play any live tourneys. But I feel like I'm slipping a bit. Out of the last eight tourneys I've played, I donked out of two, got three first places, two seconds, and then this one got me a third. I get a little pissy when I don't win outright, so this bronze-medal effort I wrapped up a few minutes ago was somewhat less than satisfying.

I was supposed to be On Call again today (Friday), but they told me before I left work yesterday that they'd need me to come in. But again, no matter what time I go in, I'm out by 5:30. Then I run home for a quick shower and then it's back down to the Strip for dinner at Stack.

I'm working early Saturday morning, too, but then T-Rev is in town and we're talkin' about dinner at Grimaldi's.

So even though I'm killing myself at work and wasting my precious sleep time playing online poker, I'm still eating well. But I've got a feeling that I may spend most of Tuesday in bed, recuperating.

Anyhow, that's the news from here. I'll post more when I get a chance.

Y'all have a good weekend.

Mikey

No comments: