Thursday, March 06, 2008

Bank Error In My Favor

... Collect $42.49

Woot!

Apparently, I either can't add with a calculator, or I just can't read my own damn writing, because this morning while I was trying to make sense of my checkbook, it just wasn't adding up.

After the last two nights of buffoonery, a couple of visits to the ATM, and a weekend of bill-paying, my checkbook needed a little bit of attention. Visiting my account online, there seemed to be an error of some sort. But a good error--like $40 in my account which I had no idea where it came from. I went over every check I wrote and every debit I've made for the past three weeks, and I was still stumped.

But like a forensic accountant, I doggedly kept at it--all of the deposits matched up, too. But when I went line-by-line with a calculator, my checkbook, and my online account showing, I noticed that on my last big deposit date, I either jacked up the math or transposed a couple of numbers (yeah, it was the second one), thereby shorting myself over forty bucks.

So I guess it really wasn't a bank error, it was just my dumb ass trying to do some quick and dirty bookkeeping at 3:00 am while hoisting a rum drink in one hand. So instead of panicking because my accounts wouldn't balance, I am now happy because I just had the equivalent of finding a couple of twenties in the dryer on laundry day.

This week just keeps getting better and better!

Mikey

No comments: