Thursday, May 18, 2006

Many Thanks...

Hey everybody--I want to give a quick thank you shout out to everyone for their kind words of support during this somewhat difficult time. Y'all make it sound like a tragedy of the first magnitude, but honestly, I was planning on dumping the old girl pretty soon anyways. I guess she found out from her friends and dumped me first, that's all. Just like in college...

As inconvenient as the situation is, it's not nearly as difficult as it was last year when I first arrived in town towing the car behind a trailer and having to replace the transmission. That was a tough spot to be in. This time around, I have a job, a stable place to live, lots of local friends, and plenty of local knowledge so that I'm not out getting lost in new territory while trying to fix my transportation dilemma.

Basically, I'm going to be stuck here at the estate for the next couple of weeks except for work. And I have transportation arranged for almost every night. Cyndi and David arrive on June 9th for a visit, so I'll get a rental car then, and I'll keep it for either two weeks or an entire month. By that time I should have a decent down payment gathered up.

I've been searching online, and the best deals are either at Desert Auto Group, or those buffoons at Towbin. I'm not exactly wanting to jump into a brand-new car, but a quality used truck is what I prefer. I'm seeing a lot of 2003-2004 Dodge Dakotas out there for less than 18K, so that's the way I'm leaning right now. As much as I'd like to have a 300 or a new Charger, I just can't justify the expense. I can easily afford a $500 per month payment, but holy shiat, who wants to pay that? Not this guy. I've been spoiled the last few years, not having a car payment at all, so I'll have to ease back into that commitment.

I thought that having all this free time (no school, no errands to run...) would give me lots of time to write and such, but these past couple of days I've just caught up on sleep, tried to track down the whereabouts of the sled's carcass, and done a little bit of internet window-shopping.

I'm actually looking forward to going to work tonight and having some outside contact. Staying here at the house is almost like being in solitary confinement, with a few amenities of course, but my supply of mixers for all of the rum is running low...

Mikey

No comments: