Thursday, October 22, 2009

I'm About To Lose Control


... and I think I like it!

I guess I should apologize for my lack of posts this week, but well, it's a free service, and sometimes you get what you pay for.

Anyhow--yes, I'm still sick, but I'm almost out of the woods. I was just telling Linda Lou a few minutes ago that I'm about 80% returned to normal. I can still feel that I'm sick, but most of the symptoms are completely under control. Luckily, living on oranges, soup, and about 14 hours of sleep per day has been good for me.

Work, of course, has kicked my ass, but my ass probably needed a good kicking, anyways. I feel ok while I'm there, but man, when I hit that parking lot at the end of the night, I am one tuckered out little trooper. Last night seemed especially long, but I had enough strength to go out and have a proper Vegas-style ham steak-and-eggs breakfast afterward.

But as tired and still sick as I am, I'm in a damn fine mood right now. The past couple of weeks I was seriously bummed out. I *really* wanted to go on that cruise with my sisters--hell, I was the one who planned the whole damn thing. But I chose to get a new place and get it all furnished instead, so I just didn't have the funds available to go. And that really harshed my mellow, especially on the day they all left. I didn't want that to happen again, so while they were gone, I started looking at cruises for next fall, a year away.

I found a couple of good ones, with itineraries that I hadn't done before, and put together a long email to the siblings asking them what they thought. There was one cruise in particular everyone seemed to like, but since they'd just gotten home from one, it was a little too early to be talking about the next one. Nobody really seemed that interested. I just happened to bring it up in another email this past weekend, while sitting at home doing nothing, and Sherry emailed back saying that her and her hubby weren't gonna agree to go on one until I actually booked one, since I always seem to plan them, but never seem to go (it's been five years since my last cruise).

I let that simmer in my mind for a couple of days, and on Tuesday, I said Farkit--I'm going. I never take vacation anymore, and time off is one thing that generally ain't a problem at work. So I got on the computer and booked myself onto a cruise next fall. I know--it's still almost a year away, but a brotha needs something to look forward to, otherwise, life is just a grind.

As soon as the confirmation email came back, I forwarded it to all my siblings, saying "Take THAT, non-believers!"

Not only did I make a reservation, but I booked myself into an upgraded balcony stateroom, too. I figured it was time to do it in style--no more putting four people in an inside cabin on a lower deck just to save money. I've got a primo location and a primo room, and I don't have to sleep in a twin bed, either!

If that wasn't enough to get me excited, check this out. The next morning, I got an email from Scottie and Amy--they booked right away. And this morning while I was at work, I got a call from Cyndi--her and Tim also booked. And then, about two hours ago, Reverend Dave called, asking for all the particulars, and he's also booked!

But that's just the tip of the buffoonery iceberg... Check this out--We all have cabins right next to each other--four in a row! Unbelievable. I guess it pays to book early, huh? I almost feel sorry for our neighbors, because that's gonna be one crazy section of hallway.

So, since all the booking has been done, it has created an avalanche of emails and my inbox has blown up. We're still waiting on Sherry and Steve, though, but I'm sure the peer pressure will get the job done. Oh, and as a bonus, a couple of our cousins from Cali may be joining us, too.

I. Cannot. Wait.

It will be an off-the-hook good time. My only question is, is it possible to remain this excited for an entire year?


Mikey

No comments: