Thursday, October 15, 2009

And Then There Were Two...

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel-- All of my household projects are finally winding down. I finished the home theatre setup around 8:00 pm last night, fiddled around with it for an hour, and then tried to get a couple of hours of sleep before going into work. I say 'tried' because one of my gals decided to call and wake me up a couple of times. (You know who you are!)

Eventually, I gave up on the sleep, disabled my alarm, and got ready for work. I headed in a bit early, and it was a looong night. But a fairly decent one, though. Once I got done at seven this morning, AC and I decided to stick around and play some cards with the morning gang--it was a fun table, and I doubled up in the two hours that we were there. On the way home, I stopped at the bank to deposit most of my cash, and now I'm home for the day. Luckily, I have the night off, too.

Anyhow, back to the household projects. While I was out last evening to pick up the fiber-optic audio cable and speaker mounts, I took a chance and stopped by to see if maybe a particular dining room set I had been looking at was back in stock at the furniture store. It was the one I wanted for awhile (well, once I realized that I had to go with a smaller table), but it's been sold out every time I looked. And I've even gone to a couple other outlets around town looking for it, but always coming up short.

Well, last night, on a whim, I stopped to see if there might be one in stock. And I got lucky--they had one on hand, and it was on sale! So I told them to load it up in my truck and I was on my way. I didn't really want to spend the money, but it's now or never...

So in addition to the electronic components, I also brought home a new dining room set. And it's still boxed up, leaning up against the wall in the dining room. I may get to it today, but then again, I may not. I'm pretty tired, having been up since noon yesterday, and I'm also kind of hungry. All I had yesterday was a bowl of noodles around seven o'clock. So I'll probably fix a bowl of cereal and doze in front of the TV, enjoying the way-better-than-I-expected sound quality of my new system.

But once I get some rest, all that's left to do is put together the dining room set and then the headboard. And then I am DONE--this place will finally be finished. It's amazing--when I moved in here in May, all I really had was my bed, a desk, an old TV, kitchen stuff, and a shiatload of books in Rubbermaid storage totes. And as bad a month as July was, I've done pretty well since--well enough to get this whole apartment furnished. It's been a sacrifice though--I haven't been able to do anything but go play poker on occasion (and I've been running well again, and that's helped, too), and as much as I wanted to go on that cruise with my sisters, I had to make a tough choice. I could've gone, but if I had, I'd still be sitting on a camp chair to watch TV and using a Coleman cooler as a coffee table.

Now I feel like a grown-up again. I haven't had a household full of 'stuff' in almost nine years--back when I had my condo in Phoenix before the bubble burst. But enough about that. Life is good, and I just found out that my buddy Ed W. is coming to town this weekend. I've got a couple of days off, so I may find my way down to the neon this weekend.



No comments: