Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Explaining My Absence **UPDATED**

Sorry for the weak posting schedule this week, but I have an excuse. This is the project that I've been working on all afternoon:


Yep, my new headboard and the home theatre system both arrived at the same time this afternoon, and well, the headboard can wait--I want the sound system set up right away. So once my toys were delivered, I got right after it, carefully unpacking everything and making sure all the parts were in order.

This system seems to be going together much quicker and easier than my old one did eight years ago. I remember when I bought that one, Derek and I spent the better part of a full day measuring and stripping speaker wire, and then we pulled up the living room carpet in my condo and ran the wires to the rear surround channels--a royal pain in the ass if there ever was one. This time around I paid a few extra bucks and got the wireless surround speakers (if you look closely, you can see the black receiver unit sitting up on the shelf on the left, near the lamp).

Anyhow, it seems to be pretty straightforward, and I've got the extra HDMI cables already, so hooking everything up should be a breeze. My only problem is the right-rear surround speaker. I'm gonna have to rig some sort of funky speaker mount to deal with the problem of the two windows right next to each other at a 90-degree angle, because I want to put the speaker in that corner. Actually, I may just go take a look at Best Buy and see what they have. I'd hate to order something online and wait around for another week.

I'd like to be listening to music or watching a DVD with full-on surround sound by tonight, but we'll see if that happens. So that's what I'll be doing with the rest of my day.

Y'all have a good one.

Mikey

UPDATE:

A couple hours later, and I'm still right where I left off. Turns out that my new system only has 1 HDMI port, and it's an 'outie'. I just took for granted that it would have 2 ports--an input and an output. Alas, it does not. So after checking with Tech Support (Big Stogie), it turns out that all I needed was an fiber optic audio cable. So I had myself a little shopping trip this afternoon, and I just got back from doing the Best Buy-Radio Shack-WalMart shuffle. Spent a few bucks that I really didn't want to, but now I've got the necessary cable, plus a couple of wall-mounts for my surround speakers.

Eventually, I'll have this place all put together.

No comments: