Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Long Week

Hello everybody--it's comforting to know that I'm missed when I take an extended break from updating. Not that I was being lazy (well, not too much), it's just that I don't have the time I used to, with school and work and whatnot taking time away from me sitting here hacking out silly posts for your reading pleasure.

But I'm skipping school today, and so I've got a little bit of free time to pop in and say hello. Unfortunately, I've got no new news to report. I still haven't heard back from any poker dealing job I've applied for, but we're still early in the game. And my philosophy is, the closer we get to March Madness, the more I'm ok without getting an immediate job offer. I'll take it easy for the next month or so, then once the Madness concludes, finding a poker job will be my number one priority. I can get by for now without one, and of course, I'd hate to get a new job right away and miss out on half of the festivities of March Madness. So I can wait. I'll practice a bit until then, but redouble my efforts once everyone heads home next month.

In the meantime, work at my primary job has improved somewhat. It seems that the people in charge finally got around to reading all those surveys we did last month, and have been quietly addressing our concerns. Hell, on Monday, they didn't even open the Rapid Roulette game, which immediately freed up four dealers who would otherwise be standing around for eight hours not dropping any tokes at all. We still seem to only have "slot" hosts, so it doesn't look, at least from where I see it, as they're actively recruiting big players for table games.

But just taking a night off from having to deal Rapid Roulette improved my outlook immeasurably, which helped me start off my weekend in a much better mood.

After getting out of work early Tuesday morning, a bunch of us got together for a drink or two and some laughs at a local watering hole. It was a lot of fun, but one of the old guys that deals dice came along and he's just a complete f*cking tool when he drinks, and he was starting to make a few of the gals uncomfortable, so we finally ditched him. I ended up eating pancakes at Blueberry Hill at 6am that morning with my friends Anna and Jovanka and laughing about the poor guy. We finally wrapped it up around 7:30 in the morning, and I came home and tried to sleep.

Except that I was awakened about three hours later to the horrible sound of chainsaws and a midget going through a wood chipper. Ok, once I woke up, I realized it wasn't a midget, just a thick tree branch. But it was right outside my window (which I'd kept open), so sleep was no longer an option with a crew of Mexicans hanging around with leave blowers, chainsaws, and the wood chipper going. On the plus side, I no longer have shade near any of my windows... Wait, what? I don't get it. I kind of liked the shade. I hope it grows back by June.

So instead of sleeping, I turned up the tv and played online poker all day. It started out pretty rough--I entered four tournaments and didn't make it to the cash in any one of them. In fact, cards got so bad at one point that when I checked my stats deep into one particular single table sit-n-go, and found that I had seen only six flops up to that point in the tournament, and hadn't won a single pot. I still made it to fourth place (they only paid the top three, unfortunately), but I got there by folding. Amazing.

I was about to give up completely for the day, so I took a break and watched some tv for awhile, then got into a big tournament late last night with Sticky. There were like 700 players involved, and we both did pretty well--we both made it to the cash, but I got knocked out when my pocket Kings were dominating a guy who had the bad sense to go all-in against me with Ace-King and nothing on the board... until an Ace landed on the river. Mikey out!

The funny thing about the tournament was that after we made it to the first break and they re-seated everyone, Sticky and I ended up at the same table sitting right next to each other! What are the odds of that? Out of almost 40 tables going, we ended up sitting together. So that was cool, and she made it a little deeper in the tournament after my Kings got cracked.

After we both got busted out, I did another single table sit-n-go and actually ended up winning the thing outright, so my night ended on a positive note, and I made back all the money I'd lost earlier in the day.

Anyhow, that's about it from here. It's a beautiful and sunny day here in America's Playground, although a tad cool. Word around the campfire is that the rest of the country is buried under a foot of snow, so y'all try and keep warm out there, mmmkay?

Mikey out!

No comments: