Saturday, December 30, 2006

More Good News

Even though I've been super busy this week--lots of stuff going on, yesterday I had a few spare minutes to chat with my favorite Vegas visitor, Sticky. We're both pretty excited about her upcoming trip, and it seems that although work and the holiday hustle and bustle has kept us both busy, the anticipation has caused the days to seem like they're dragging. We were both a little bummed about the fact that her visit was only for three nights, so yesterday we came up with the brilliant idea of extending her trip by another day.

It didn't seem like it would be a problem because she still had a free room offer from the Mirage and changing her flight only cost her $40.

$40 Canadian!

So she called and got a free night arranged at the Mirage for when she arrives on that Tuesday, and we'll stay there one night before moving back to our usual home at New York New York the next day, and we'll stay there for the remainder of her visit. By taking advantage of the Mirage offer, even for just one day, we get, I think, $50 in free slot play and $25 worth of room-charge credit. And at NYNY I think she has $125 in free slot play, also.

While she was making those changes in her itinerary, I was on the phone with the payroll department at work, finding out just how much vacation time I had left and if I could take another day off and still get paid for it. As it turns out, I still had ten hours of vacation time I had to use by May 2nd (when I get another two weeks worth added to my account), plus I'd forgotten that on January 1st, I also get three personal days added. So the paid time off was there for the taking, I just had to make sure the day I needed to have off was available and get approval from my boss.

So, the first thing I did last night was talk to the assistant shift manager and got my name in the calendar book. Vacation time was approved! So now Sticky is going to be here for four nights and five days, and I'm off all but one night (gotta work on Friday, but she's gonna go kick ass in the poker room for a few hours without me there serving as a distraction--did I mention that she's turned into a helluva poker player now? Even better than me. And way better than Dougie, Terry and Doc Al).

Of course, we've both been scrimping and saving every dime for the past month or so, because we've vowed that we wanted our budget to allow us to avoid places like the Klondike or Boulder Station on welfare check day. We'll give Mirage, NYNY, and Treasure Island a little love--just to keep those freebie offers coming, but we'll also take a requisite trip out to Green Valley Ranch and more than likely spend some time at the Golden Nugget. We were *thinking* of maybe catching a show, also, but at first we decided against it, just because with only three nights, we had to maximize our Vegas experience in a short time. Maybe now that we've got a little more time, we can see if there's anything available at the half-price booth one day.

As far as restaurants go, I just found out this week that Sticky has never eaten at the Peppermill. Normally, when she's in town, it's just coffee and donuts in the room, so maybe this time we'll get out of bed at a reasonable hour and go eat a proper breakfast. With cocktails. I think we're also planning on having dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy at the Fashion Show Mall one night. The food is excellent of course, but the ambiance can't be beat with the live crooner/piano music and the view of the Strip. But the deal-closer is all of the museum-quality photographs of Old Vegas that adorn the walls. Even if the food sucked, it's worth a visit just to wander around the restaurant looking at the pictures. Luckily it's very good, though.

Anyhow--that's the news. Sticky's coming to town again, and both of us are looking forward to another great week.

Is it 2007 yet???

Mikey

No comments: