Monday, August 31, 2009

Not Very Sporting


Ok, so we now have evidence that the new furniture is extremely comfy. I was supposed to go to the Henderson Writers Group meeting tonight, but I fell asleep while watching Monday Night Football instead.

I should get a pass on this one, because every time they mentioned Brett Favre, I did my own version of a drinking game. But instead of doing a shot of liquor, I closed my eyes and checked out for fifteen seconds. Well, it was a total Favre-fest, so I was out like a light five minutes into the game. I, like the rest of the sports-viewing world, am completely sick of all things Brett Favre. I'm no Packers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it would be a wry justice if he threw three interceptions before halftime and then got Joe Theismaned when he goes back to Lambeau this fall. Then he could fade off into obscurity and we'd never have to hear his name again. Well at least for five years, before all is forgiven and forgotten and he goes to Canton as a Packer.

Anyhow, the point is, I fell asleep and didn't wake up until damn near halftime, and it was almost 7:00 pm by then. And I really wanted to go tonight, too, because Linda Lou was doing a reading, and I'd much rather listen to her than a bunch of strangers (and whatever she's writing about has certainly got to hold more interest than fairies and druids and such), and the plan was to cough up the dues, join up, and be official. Oh well. I'm just not used to going out on Monday nights anyways--I'm usually always asleep at that point in the early evening, preparing for an all-nighter at work.

Speaking of work, I was bummed that I didn't get called in all weekend--I thought for sure that I'd be needed on Saturday night, but it was not to be. Kinda sucks when I'm suddenly feeling cash poor after a good month or so. One of my gals even sent me a text message on Saturday night, asking me if I was gonna come join her in a poker game. I wrote back I just spent a grand on new furniture yesterday--I got no poker money. Hell, even if I had a spare hundie in my wallet, I probably would've stayed home, anyways. Now that I finally got a new sectional, I want a new coffee table. And the one I want isn't cheap, either. So that'll be the big purchase for this month.

And since it's the first of the month again, well, it looks like a lean week until the obligations are met. So there will be no poker or any other type of buffoonery for a few days. And right now, I'm in the dead zone when it comes to my other preferred form of entertainment, reading--I finished off volume 11 of the Aubrey-Maturin series, The Reverse of the Medal, this morning, and the next four volumes are still in the hopper at Amazon. And the ending of volume 11 makes me really want to dive right into volume 12. So it'll be a few days before I can scratch that particular itch.

On the other hand, I hoped to start on the Prelude to Glory series by Ron Carter--I ordered the first two volumes over a week ago, and I had a package down at the rental office to pick up today. When I opened it up, I saw that it was volume 2. Damn. According to the folks at the customer service desk, however, volume 1 was shipped out last Monday and should be here directly. I would've preferred to get them in order, as you can imagine.

So I'm bookless and cashless for a few days, looking forward to going back to work. But I'm no longer couchless or sleepless (or friendless...brainless...helpless...and hopeless, unemployed--in Greenland!)


Mikey

No comments: