Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I've Got Your Library, Right Here!


Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I see your lips moving, I hear some noises being made, but it's not registering...

See, I tried the library awhile back, and it just didn't work for me. First of all, the books that I've been buying from Amazon recently, well, it's a set of books that I want to keep and re-read over the years. Those Patrick O'Brian novels are a wonderful thing to add to any collection , so I don't mind spending the cash for them at all. It's money well spent.

Secondly, yesterday, it was like Christmas in August--I got three different shipments delivered throughout the course of the day--a shiatload of books, plus my new guitar stand and tuner. So I've got plenty to keep me busy for the next several days.

But getting back to the library--I utilized it a few times, but overall, the experience was less than satisfying. First of all, I wandered around for over an hour the last time I was there and couldn't find anything that interested me, much less the three books on my 'shopping' list. Second of all, the library is a lot like the DMV, except with shorter lines and a whole helluva lot more kids. Not my chosen hangout. And everyone that works there reminds me of a bunch of liberal-arts majors that washed out of the restaurant business, and they all seem to have the personality of the Barefoot Contessa. Not my scene. As far as I'm concerned, the Library is either a gentleman's club out on Boulder Highway, or the smallest room in my house--the one with no carpet or windows.

On the other hand, the local Henderson library has a pretty good collection of classical music available to loan, so if I ever find myself down there again, at least I can rip some Classical Thunder to my iPod.

Moving on...

I've been looking for another good options trade to make, but man, I've been out of the game so long, it seems like there is just not much volatility anymore. Back in the go-go days of ten years ago, there were such juicy premiums in all of the tech stocks, but not anymore. I can't find ten good stocks over a hundred bucks right now, and I don't want to stake my fortune on Priceline and Google. It seems as if the juice has been completely weezed.

I did, however, find a decent spread yesterday that I could do with Google options, but as risky as it is, it only yields about 10%, and I find myself thinking Do I really want to risk $2700 to make $280? It gives me pause, and I think I'm gonna just keep on looking.

I can't think of anything else of note going on in the world of Mikey, so I'll wrap it up for now.

Mikey

PS. How 'bout them Redbirds, eh? 8-2 in their last ten, up six games in the Central! Woot!

No comments: