Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hump Day For Everyone!

I just realized that not only is it Hump Day for the rest of the world, but it's Hump Day for me, too! That hasn't happened in almost five years. Yep, I'm actually working five days this week (plus I'm also On Call this weekend), and I realized that I'm halfway through. Woot!

It's been a very busy, and lucrative, week for me, and I'm knockin' on wood that it keeps up. The economy must be turning around--at least as far as I can tell, because the last two nights in a row there's been a waiting list for a seat at my poker game at 3:00 in the morning. That hasn't happened in I don't know how long. I'm happy about it, but man, when I finally get home in the morning, it's Go Directly To Bed, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200.

I couldn't sleep all day, as per my original plan, however. I had errands to run. First of all, I had to trek over to the far side of the apartment complex to get my mail, and when I did so, I found that I finally got my new debit card. No more Washington Mutual--woohoo!--it's now Chase.

So then I headed down to the local branch to deposit a few hundies for the truck payment, and I changed my pin and activated the card and did all that housekeeping stuff. The teller told me that the branch isn't gonna change over to Chase and get the remodel done until October, but whatever... I knew waaaay back in 2001 that Washington Mutual was a shiatbag company, but I never had a problem with my accounts until just these past few weeks. I'm just glad that I never owned any of their stock. The one change I've already noticed, however, is that they're always trying to sell me something or upgrade me every time I go in there. Not gonna happen. Eventually, I'm probably just going to use the account as a conduit to fund my stash over at E*Trade, and use their free checking instead.

After the bank, I headed over to Target to do some shopping and I was less than satisfied. I don't know what happened to the place in the past couple of months, but damn, it's like they tripled their prices on everything. I used to prefer to go there over WalMart, if only for the fact that the checkout lines weren't such a clusterf*ck, but their prices were just way out of line.

Seriously, you expect me to pay $13.58 for five razor blades? Three bucks for a can of shaving cream? $4.84 for a bottle of body wash? Shiat, I may as well shop at the 7-11 on the corner if I'm gonna be paying those prices. Fark that. I eventually found a few things on sale that I needed--carpet freshener, DCwL, Bounce dryer sheets, and I picked up a few other household items like garbage bags and a hanging sponge holder for my kitchen, but damn, it was a head-scratcher wandering around in there--usually they could easily compete with Wallyworld, but not now. Luckily I remembered that I had a $15 Target gift card in my wallet that I've been carrying around since last Christmas, so it took a little of the sting away once I got to the checkout line.

When I got back home, I stopped at the rental office to pick up my latest package of goodies from Amazon. Yep, I got books 3, 4, and 5 in the Aubrey/Maturin series, so that's pretty much what I'm gonna do with the rest of the afternoon--get started on reading the next installment. And since I'm not spending money on anything but groceries, gas, and bills this summer, I logged back onto my Amazon account and treated myself by ordering the next four O'Brian books, plus a new guitar stand and pocket tuner. I've been practicing, but I can't find my old lesson books anywhere. So next week, I'll probably order a new guitar book so I can practice basic scales and chords--I need to retrain the muscle memory in my fingers, as I've completely lost it over the past seven or eight years.

That's all for now...

Mikey

PS... Tip of the day--Never do a Google Image Search for 'Hump Day' with SafeSearch turned off. I'm just sayin'...

No comments: