Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Devil Has Come to Tsavo Henderson!

The Dirt Devil, that is...

Finally, after almost a full week of waiting, my new vacuum cleaner has arrived. Just as I was logging onto my account on Amazon to check the tracking status a few minutes ago, there was a knock on my front door--it was the UPS man.

Of course, as much as I'd love to cut the box open and get to cleaning the floors here at the apartment, I can't do it just yet. I forgot to go to the store this morning after work and get some carpet freshener. But I will tomorrow morning. Besides, I was just exhausted, and wanted to just come straight home--the last two nights in the poker room have kicked my ass, and I've got three more to go. (But that's a good thing!) Hell, I'll even have some--gasp!--overtime on my next check...

I was talking to Mamasan this morning, and told her that if this keeps up, I may be able to go buy that new thousand-dollar sectional next week, and relegate the camp chair permanently out the the patio where it belongs. Boy, that sure would be nice--all I would need then to complete my living room ensemble is some sort of coffee table and a new picture or two on the wall. Once that's done, the next item is a new bookcase headboard for my bed, and then a better looking dining room table. After that, I'm completely furnished except for odds and ends (oh yeah, I want a new set of nightstands, and maybe a side-table for the dining area, but neither are that big of a deal).

Hopefully business will continue to pick up and the recession will soon become a distant memory. If that's the case I'll start doing some option trading again (or at least share a few ideas here), and building up the nest egg again. I've got the retirement funds chugging along nicely, but I don't do anything with them except buy and hold mutual funds--it'll be nice to 'get back in the game', as it were.

As glad as I am to be back at the keyboard again, my life is kind of boring right now. I'm working more than twice as much as I used to, and I'm on a money-saving frugality kick right now, so my recreational options are somewhat limited. I've scaled way back on the poker playing (I mean, who wants to work all week in a poker room, and then spend their free time hanging around in the same place? Not me...), and I haven't had any new dining adventures around town in quite some time. In fact, the only eating out I've done in a month was having dinner at Cheesecake Factory with Linda Lou, and when Angy was in town, we went out to PF Chang's one night. On the other hand, I found out that Pie Town Pizza on Green Valley and Sunset will deliver to my apartment, and I've taken advantage of that knowledge twice now.

There's also a gal I've been kinda-sorta seeing on and off for a couple of months, but that ain't goin' anywhere. All it does is cost me money and she's chock-full of bat-shiat crazy, too, so I've been dodging her calls for the last week or so. I'm not quite a hermit in a cabin working on a political manifesto, but right now, all I do is work, read, and sleep. Hell, I haven't even done any fun cooking in awhile, either (although today I boiled some sliced onions in four bottles of Amber Bock, then added a few Johnsonville Beer Brats, imparting a nice aroma to the house. Once they were cooked through, I tossed a couple on the grill and had a great lunch).

I guess I'm just waiting for something interesting to happen, and when it does, y'all will be the first to hear about it...

Mikey

PS. Okay, so I've been back for about a week, and I just noticed that I've used two pictures of Michael Douglas holding a gun... Coincidence?

No comments: