Monday, July 19, 2010

This Has Been A Typical Monday...

Yeah, it's been sucking so far...

Like I said, I've had a very busy week, but that came to an end last night. I've worked 11 out of the past 12 days, and now I'm not on the schedule again until at least Friday. Woot!

I haven't had two days off in a row in the last two months, so right now, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with myself. But of course, the fickle hand of fate raised it's middle finger at me this morning, and I've been dealing with the fallout for a good portion of the day.

T-Rev was in town for the past few days, and came by the casino to play some hold-em last night. When I got the boot at 1:00 o'clock in the morning, we took off to get some dinner. We hit Casa di Amore (again) and had another helluva feast. I don't recall what he had, but I know we had toasted ravioli and a bottle of damn good wine (half price after midnight on Sunday and Monday nights!). For my dinner I had fettucini alfredo with shrimp and scallops. It was soooo good. The chef really knocked it out of the park with that one.

Anyhow, once I dropped him off back at his hotel, I headed back home to the East Side to try and get some sleep. When I emptied my pockets, I saw that my new replacement phone was jacked up again. It looked like somebody had taken a hammer to the touch screen. No, the glass wasn't broken, but the display looked like a tv test pattern on some really good acid. Of course, it was useless. I managed to make a couple of calls this morning before it completely died, but I figured another trip out to the AT&T warranty center on Decatur and Sahara would be on the top of the to-do list this afternoon.

So I tried to sleep, but then, text messages and stuff started coming in, and I was not only unable to retrieve them, but also unable to see where they were sent from. Even after I popped the SIM card out of the LG and into the spare G0-Phone I have, it didn't show any messages. So if any of you have tried to contact me today before 4:00 pm, I have no way of getting the messages. Sorry.

I managed to get a couple hours worth of sleep, finally, but got up around two in the afternoon, gathered my deposits, paid my bills, got dressed, and headed out. First stop was the bank to deposit a stack of hundies, then over to Costco to fill up the tank (it's $2.75 out here, if anyone is interested).

Then I said Fark it, it has to be done, so I saddled up and made my way over to the west side--a place that I hate to go. And there is absolutely no good way to get from my neighborhood to the corner of Decatur and Sahara, so I mentally prepared myself for eight miles of stoplights in the 114-degree heat as I made my way down Boulder Highway. Stupid traffic all the way, and nobody refusing to come within five miles-per-hour of the speed limit. Not only that, but once I turned onto Sahara, there were dead cars blocking the road everywhere. This heat just kills batteries and radiators out here, and usually, it's taxicabs that break down. It may be 114 in the shade, but in the direct sunlight it's a good 130+, and I hate driving in that, especially in stop-n-go traffic, but it had to be done.

Luckily, I made it to the service center without incident, but of course the toad behind the counter took one look at my phone and said Sorry--this is 'physical damage', and that voids your warranty--nothing we can do. Next! or something to that effect. So they wouldn't do a damn thing for me. The lesson here kids, is NEVER buy an LG phone. Hell, after this whole experience, I wouldn't purchase any electronics made by LG. Seriously, their stuff is such pieces of shiat that I wouldn't use a toothbrush that they manufactured.

So I was there for about, oh, three minutes or so, and then turned around and headed back out into the heat to make my way back over to Henderson. What a waste of time. So once I got home, I dug out the old cheap-ass Samsung Go-Phone, charged it up, and now I'll be using it for the next six months until I'm eligible for an 'upgrade'. At first I'd thought I'd lost all of my contacts, but everything I had up until May (the original breakdown) was saved on my SIM card, so I only lost a few numbers. It doesn't have a full keyboard or all the normal capabilities of a regular 'smart' phone, so those of you who like to send me a lot of texts and pictures and such, please try to curtail it until after the holidays.

But that's not the only thing that's been pissing me off today--I was excited that the Phillies/Cardinals game was on ESPN, so I sat down to watch it. But the past few days, the picture has been disappearing for a few seconds (or minutes) at a time, and wouldn't you know it, in the Cardinals half of the inning where they got three home runs, I missed every single one of them because the picture kept blanking out. (Of course it works fine during the commercials!) So I've been on the phone with the Cox-suckers for the past 20 minutes trying to get that ironed out. I don't know why I even bother to call them--their answer to everything is the same as Microsoft's--just reboot it!

They're also sending some sort of magic signal to my cable box, and they said it'll take a half hour before it diagnoses and cycles through everything, so even though my team is on, I'm unable to watch the game (but thank god for gamecast on!)

Anyhow, that's enough negative vibes for one day. As far as good news goes, I found out today that they will be for sure hiring a few permanent dealers at my casino (formerly known as Job #2, but shall from this point forward be known as The Good Job, or probably just 'the job'). So I spent some time this afternoon doing all the paperwork that they wanted me to do, so now I just have to sit and wait and hope that I'm one of the people that they are keeping. I like my chances though--my co-workers all want me to stay, and my supervisor told me that he'd give me an enthusiastic recommendation, so I hope hope hope that it all works out.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea what the time frame is. But as soon as I know--you'll know.

So what else is new? Not a damn thing, to be honest with ya. I've been working so much that I haven't had much of a life, although I did manage to squeeze in a few hours of fun here and there when random friends have come to town. But now that life is somewhat back to normal, I should be able to get back into a routine. Hell, we haven't even been able to do a poker night in almost three weeks!

Once I find out that I have a permanent job, however, it'll be a little bit easier on me and I'm sure I'll sleep better at night, and I'll be able to make plans and such. I've already decided that once I get 'permanent' status (fingers crossed), I'm gonna start on another puzzle and get it framed, buy a poker table, and also maybe get a hookah (the kind you smoke, not the kind that tries to crawl in your car window when you're sitting at a stoplight--get your minds out of the gutter!).

Anyhow, that's the news for now. I'm gonna relax tonight, but tomorrow is full-on housecleaning and laundry day. Now that I've got a bit of time on my hands, I'm gonna get this place organized and stop living out of the basket and the dryer. Oh, I might have a rum drink and spend some time at the pool, too, now that I think about it...


No comments: