Friday, July 09, 2010

Same As It Ever Was

Well, I thought that life was gonna get a lot less busy and that I'd have a bunch more free time on my hands now that Job #1 is history. But that's just not the case. Job #2 (the *good* job) is working my ass off.

I just got home from another lucrative night at the casino, and checking the schedule, I have to work six nights this upcoming week--I don't have another day off until next Wednesday. I'll take it, but man, it sure doesn't agree with my innate laziness. And two years of barely working 20 hours a week didn't help prepare me for this. Oh, believe me, I'm very happy to be working right now. The economy out here stills sucks like you wouldn't believe, and a lot of my contemporaries would kill to be in my position, because I've stumbled into a little gold mine this summer. I'm going to enjoy this feast as long as it lasts.

So basically, now that I'm down to just one job, I've been spending all my free time catching up on all the sleep I lost these past six or seven weeks. Usually I have Mondays and Wednesdays off (no consecutive off days for me), and my Mondays are spent in bed until late afternoon, coming off of five very hectic days of work. Wednesdays are my busy days where I'm running errands and doing my shopping and stuff like that. The rest of the time, I'm either working or trying to sleep.

So that's why I haven't been posting anything interesting lately.

Hell, even poker night this week got canceled at the last minute--all of my friends were hungover or sick, so we took the night off. It was because of Tuesday night--my phone started blowing up at work--it was all the buffoons from Job #1 telling me that there was an 'End of the Grind' party on tap for that night, and that I was to ask for an Early Out and get my ass out to Chinatown, post haste.

Apparently, some of my former co-workers had reserved a 'VIP' room in a karaoke lounge in a seedy strip mall that had three massage parlors and four different karaoke lounges as tenants. Anyhow, I found my way over there at like 2:00 in the morning and the party was going strong. There was bottle service and everything, and we had our own private 'studio' to party in. It was kind of funny, because it was some serious Asian karaoke--nothing like the stuff you're used to seeing. And instead of just words on the screen, the best part was the home-made videos they featured with every song.

Anyhow, I lasted about two hours and two drinks, then made my way home once we found out that there was no Neil Diamond or Robert Earl Keen to be had. But some of my compadres made a full night and day of it and didn't come crawling home until sometime after noon. So yeah, poker night got canceled as everyone was pretty much still in bed at 7:00 pm on Wednesday.

I didn't do much--I wandered down to Sunset and had a drink with a couple of friends for an hour or two, but then I came home and stayed up all night futzing with my iPod. My old iTunes bypass software decided to take a dump, so I downloaded another thing called 'CopyTrans Manager' and man, it worked like a charm. So I messed around with that for several hours, making playlists and editing my music and such. Then I went to bed around 7:00 in the morning, but I spent another couple of hours listening to newly-loaded music before falling asleep. That was pretty much it for Thursday--I slept all day and then had to work.

Today (Friday), I'm gonna try and get up early in the afternoon and run down to Job #1 and pick up the last of my tournament tokes--they owe me about $80 or so for my last day on the job. After that, I'm pretty sure that's the last I'll hear from them.

Other than that, I still need to get down to Costco and renew my membership and do some shopping--I haven't had any of that good Mexican Coke in months, and I'm out of cashews, too. Once those errands are run, I'm gonna just relax for a bit before another crazy night in the casino gets underway.

Peace out, y'all!


No comments: