Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Long Nights, Impossible Odds

Well, at least I think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

I was running on about three hours of quality snooze time when I went to work yesterday afternoon, and I was beat. Although I didn't sign the Early Out list when I got there, I think in the back of my mind I was totally cool with getting the quick hook.

And once I clocked in, I thought for sure it would happen. We only had two games going and five dealers. But we managed to scrounge up enough players to start a sit-n-go type tournament, and before I knew it, it was 11:30 at night and I was looking at completing a full 'hard eight'.

That was nice, since I only had two days this week. But I'm back to the grind with plenty of hours next week, and I've already got a few days on the schedule in August, so things are looking good.

Another side effect of that rut I've been talking about is that I haven't been eating anything either. Too unmotivated to go grocery shopping, much less cook, I've been back to living on granola bars and Gatorade lately. So when I got out of work last night, I was starving. Casa di Amore is closed on Tuesday nights, so that was out of the question. Instead, I just made a midnight run to Del Taco. I haven't had that in months, maybe years. Hell, I don't remember the last time I went to Del Taco. But it was damn good. Waaaay better than Taco Bell (although the Bell has it's place too). So I enjoyed my two Big Fat Steak Tacos and a nice watery fountain Coke while surfing the net and trying to come up with a to-do list for when I wake up.

Oh, I've got to run to the post office and the alterations shop (six weeks of double shifs beat the hell out of several pairs of those sexy black polyester work pants, so they need to go in for a tune-up), and then I'm gonna hit the grocery store to get a few more munchies for poker night. I'm gonna go ahead and make my spicy Ro-Tel dip, but Mamasan turned me on to a black-bean pineapple salsa dip recipe that everyone raved about this weekend, so I'll probably do that, too.

But I've got to get all that stuff done early--the FedEx man in bringing me all kinds of goodies from Amazon, and they never knock on the door. They just throw the boxes into my camp chair out on the patio and keep on truckin'. At least UPS has the courtesy to knock and wake my ass up, which I appreciate, but it also kinda sucks because the damn UPS man has seen my lucky Elvis boxers a whole helluva lot more lately than any of my lady friends have.

Oh well. That's all there is from this corner of the neon playground. Y'all have a wonderful hump day.

Mikey

No comments: