Thursday, February 11, 2010

At the Bottom of the Sine Wave


That's how I feel this week. I don't feel like doing anything. I'm off for the next couple of days, and that's just as well. If I don't feel like doing anything fun, I certainly don't feel like workin'. Maybe I've just got a bad case of cabin fever. It's still chilly here, but at least the rain has stopped and the sun has finally made an appearance. Even so, I can't recall being this unmotivated. I've got a pantry and fridge full of goodies to go crazy with in the kitchen, but I'm just not up to it. Normally that would be fun, but I guess I'll wait until I'm good and hungry, first.

I've played a bit of poker in the past week, but it's been a grind. I was on a huge 6-week long heater, not losing a single session, but that has kind of turned around. The last four times I've played, I lost three times and broke even once. I was card-dead for a week, so I've been taking a vacation from the game for a few days. Normally, on Thursday nights, I head down to the M and play a little no-limit, but with no winnings, plus another slow work week, well, I'm not gonna take the chance. I may, however, hit one of the local grind-joints late tonight and play a little low-limit, just to get my fix in and be able to play all the junk cards I've been getting, anyways.

With all of the free time I've had on my hands lately, I've gotten lots of little things done around the house. I've run out of laundry to do, and I think I've got a late-blooming case of OCD as far as scrubbing my bathroom is concerned. I think my tub may be cleaner than my fridge at this point. I've also read a few books this week--Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton just sucks like a case of vacation-week food poisoning . Seriously, I'm guessing he grunted that one out due to being under contract, and it's a crime that so many trees had to die because of it.

I've also spent a couple hours this afternoon working on my puzzle, after not having touched it in almost a month. It's coming along nicely, but after going about ten minutes without finding any two pieces that went together, I just now took a break from it.

This is what it looked like a couple weeks ago:

And this is how it looks tonight:

I've still got a long way to go, but I'm making progress. It's a long and tedious process, but it's great for clearing the mind and taking a break from everything else I normally spend my time thinking about. I remember about 20 years ago, I could knock out a 550-piece puzzle in about three hours. But this one, well, it's exponentially more difficult. Still, it'll be nice once it's done--I'll figure out a way to mount it and I'll hang it on the wall.

Anyhow, that's all I've got--like I said the other day, if I had anything interesting to write about, I certainly would. But right now, the normal routine is even duller than usual.


No comments: