Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Hurricane Mikey's Day Off

Ok, so maybe I won't be cruising around Chicago in a 'borrowed' Ferrari, taking in a Cubs game, impersonating Abe Froman, or even crashing a parade today, but still, it's nice to be away from the cube farm for more than a few hours. 

Yep, it's my day off.  Luckily, I woke up early and got most of my chores done, so the afternoon is mine.  Now I haven't forgotten about you fine folks, I'm still working on my road trip post, (and doing the the frustrating process of transferring pics from the iPhone to the un-Appled laptop), but of course there are other priorities out there that are taking up my time.  For instance, the Cardinals are playing the Phillies this afternoon, and the game starts in just a few hours.  Once that begins, all other activities come to a screeching halt.  I'd love to see 'em win this series, if only to torture the boorish Philadelphia fans.  Anyone who would boo Santa Claus doesn't deserve any type of sports happiness (and oh did they ever get to suck on it on Sunday!)

Speaking of Sunday, I was remarkably consistent, going 3-for-5 once again.  Of course I got effed by Chicago, just like I figured I would.  Oh well.  I've still got a pretty good record for the season (13-7-1), which has triggered an avalanche of emails from handicapping websites offering me guaranteed locks for only $99 each.  Don't know how I could ever pass up a bargain like that...  Once I confer with my Nigerian business associates that I met on Facebook, I'm sure an appropriate arrangement can be made.

By the way, did anyone notice that summer finally left us for good?  It was downright COLD a couple of nights this week, prompting me to dig out the sweaters and long-sleeved shirts for work.  Man, I am *not* at all ready for winter again.  Of course this time around it won't be so hard on me because I'm off of the blood thinners, but I'd really like to be able to enjoy fall this year--last year I was all invalided up and unable to do too much.

I was thinking of another camping trip in a couple of weeks, but it's getting downright chilly around here and it's probably not a good idea to go off by myself just yet.  So I don't know what I'm going to do with my upcoming four-day weekend. 

As far as time off goes, my buddy Jim was trying to talk me into going up to St. Louis today and tomorrow to just hang out downtown and enjoy the vibe around the stadium while the Cardinals were taking care of business.  Tickets were impossible to get, so that was out, but just going and soaking in the environment of St. Louis when the Cards are in the playoffs is something to be savored.  It's a 100% baseball town, and this time of year, well, the vibe is like nothing else.  It's just a great place to be.

But I couldn't swing it, so I'll be watching the game from the easy chair in the den instead of at one of the indoor-outdoor bars outside of Busch Stadium with the rest of the fanatics who were unable to score tickets.  That's ok, I'll be back again soon.  We made plans to do a couple more baseball weekends next year, and there's a chance that I'll be going back up there in November to see the SeaChickens/Rams game.  Otherwise known as the 'Who Cares Bowl'.  Shockingly, there are plenty of tickets still available...

Anyhow, that's the news from here right now.  I've got a few ideas in the hopper for other posts, but I've been having a hard time getting my internal GPS to direct me to the corner of Spare Time and Creativity, but I'm working on it.

Y'all be cool,

and-

GO CARDS!!!!



Mikey

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cards are in the World Series!! It's about time for an update!f

DeKalb Dad said...

......trying to keep this blog in my rotation.....

Anonymous said...

Speaking of wagering from Vegas, take a look at these wagers on the Cards back in Sept. when they were 6.5 games back of the Brewers and 4.5 games behind the Braves in the wild card race.


http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... tslips.jpg

Ed Bull said...

Mikey, you ok? I dont care if the blog is updated, but your viewers are concerned about your health.

bdog said...

Are you and Albert related?
Go Cards!

Jay said...

uh oh