Monday, November 02, 2009

Sometimes High, Sometimes Low...

Seriously Mikey, Winger?

Sorry about that, folks. It's the best I could come up with on short notice. Maybe I'm just not feeling especially creative today. After those last two epic posts, my brain is worn out.

So let's see here... After I finished up this morning's work, I skipped out on the whole chicken-fried-steak thing. All that coffee kills the appetite, so I wasn't hungry enough to do the kitchen dance. Instead, I just got dressed and headed out to run my errands. First stop was at the bank, and it seems that I've landed on the same teller three times this week when making my deposit. The first thing she said to me was So how was your weekend, Mikey?

Damn good, as you can see from this $3000 deposit!

--You win all that at the casino?

I won it all playing poker...

I spared the details and just let her think I'm a tanned version of Greg Raymer...

After that, I made my way over to a local garage to get the truck fixed. I blew out my left brake light and rear blinker a few weeks ago and hadn't gotten around to doing the repair yet. I was fully prepared to pay about $200 to get it fixed, because the same thing happened with my Nissan truck about ten years ago and I had to replace a harness, a relay switch, and all the bulbs. It was not just a simple bulb-change back then, so I brought a book and my Mastercard, fully believing that I'd be there for several hours.

But I've got to give a shout out to the dudes at Gil's Automotive on W. Sunset. They are awesome, customer-service wise. Not only did they look at my truck immediately, but they pulled the taillight, tested the bulbs and connections, and replaced the bulb all less than five minutes. Done! And when I went to pay, the manager said Don't worry about it, it's on us!

Seriously, he wouldn't even let me pay for the bulb. Unbelievable. So I took his card and told him that I'd most definitely be coming back next time I needed any repair. I couldn't believe it--that whole encounter completely made my day. Hell, tomorrow I may go down there first thing in the morning and bring coffee and donuts for his whole crew. So if any of you local readers need your car worked on, now you know where to go.

After that, I headed over to one of my favorite stores, Lee's Discount Liquors. Initially, my purpose was to get my ticket for the Lee's Wine Experience this weekend, as last year was such an epic adventure, there was no way I was missing it ever again. Lars, on the other hand, won't be joining me this time around. I think he's still paying for the sins of last November. But instead of just buying a ticket, I decided to pick up a few bottles of the good stuff. First of all, I got three bottles of my favorite wines--a Landskroon chiraz from South Africa (makes that Yellowtail shiat taste like paint thinner and red dye #5), a bottle of Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse, and a J Lohr Merlot. I also picked up a good bottle of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, as I love the stuff from Oregon. Additionally, I got a bottle of Grand Marnier and a couple of brandy snifters, so I can smoke cigars like a gentleman. Plus I had to get a bottle of rum, and this time it was some Grande Reserve Plantation Rum, from Barbados.

That was enough, and with the ticket to the wine fest, I spent almost two hundred bucks. I could've easily gone crazy in there, but as you all know, I'm all about moderation...

Still not done with my shopping, I bought some new clothes, too. Four hundred bucks worth. And believe it or not, I didn't buy a single Hawaiian shirt. After all that, I stopped at Costco and filled up my tank. No, I didn't go inside.

Once all that damage was done, I came back home and did some more. I paid a couple of months worth of truck payments in advance, so I don't have to hear from the jackals at my finance company again until 2010. I also logged on to the cruise line website and sent them a few hundred more towards next year's vacation. Then I booked a room at the Hilton for this Saturday night, as I know that I'll be in absolutely no shape to drive anywhere after the Wine Experience, and I don't want to depend on the kindness of strangers, like last year.

I'm keeping about a thousand in the coffee can, just because, and I'm also thinking of playing in one of the Venetian Deep Stack tournaments next week (that's like $350, and it offers me the best shot of parlaying my recent good fortune). The rest of the money is on its way to E*Trade, and now I'm back to square one, hoping that the next three days of work are busy and lucrative. I might hit up Walmart for a truckload of household supplies, but then that's it--my stimulating the economy is over for awhile.

For now, I'm gonna enjoy my grilled cheese sandie and a bowl of chicken noodle soup, followed by a relaxing afternoon of ESPN.

Ciao for now...


No comments: