Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Don't leave home without it

Vegas is an endlessly interesting place. One of the great things about being here is that I feel like I'll never run out of stuff to see or do. So from now on, I'm carrying my digital camera with me every day, and if I happen to get a snapshot of something funny-haha or funny-strange, I'll be sure and share it. Like today, for instance. I got to class a little early (traffic was actually moving close to the speed limit on I-15), so the doors were still locked when I arrived. So I hung out on the balcony for a few minutes, like a smoker getting my fix.

I looked down and noticed a body sprawled out on the sidewalk below, like it had been thrown off of the building. Of course, the building is only two stories high, so I figured they'd live even if that were the case. After a couple of minutes of wondering how this dude got there, a cement truck came rolling by and laid on the brakes sending a loud squeal in all directions. The body suddenly came to life, looked around to make sure that they were in no imminent danger, then slowly deflated back into a heap on the sidewalk. At this point I realized that it was a woman sleeping off what had to have been a most interesting evening. Traffic started getting heavier, making it impossible to have a nap, so she slowly got to her feet again and shuffled off down the street, using parked cars and telephone poles for support.

By this time the doors were unlocked and I went inside to begin my day. But tomorrow, I'm gonna bring my camera. Because you just never know when you'll see a body flung off the roof of your building...

Mikey

No comments: