Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Got Nuthin'

Since my Sunday night out with the Seattle gang, it's been extremely mellow around here. I haven't had to go to work, although I got the Come in at 3:00 am phone call around midnight on Monday, and then at 2:15, I got the Never mind follow-up phone call. Ugh.

Otherwise, it's just been kind of cold and dull at Casa de Mikey. I've pretty much stayed in my room for the past 48 hours, reading, drinking coffee, catching up on my sleep, clearing out all the junk on my DVR, and searching for inspiration. Hell, I haven't been outside since late Sunday night, so for all I know, there could be a massive zombie invasion going on out there and I could be the last person alive in this zip code.

Well, I know that my roommate is still around, because somebody has been feeding the dogs and fetching the mail. Oh, and the UPS man hasn't been eaten by zombies, either, because my box of coconut body wash arrived yesterday, too.

In website news, my electronic begging cup tip jar will be going away very soon--Amazon is no longer offering the service unless I'm an officially registered-with-the-IRS charity, so I want to give on last 'Thank You' to everyone who has dropped a few bucks in there over the past couple of years--I've really appreciated it. (The Wish List link will be unaffected, though)

And speaking of less money in the pocket, I got a letter from my employer the other day, saying that they would no longer be matching contributions in our 401k's due to our current economic downturn. Gotta love that. I guess being under-employed with no benefits is better than being unemployed with nothing. Hopefully this immoderate economic storm will soon pass, because I'm getting tired of the hassle. Otherwise I'll be back to collecting aluminum cans and donating plasma to make ends meet.

Ok, it's not quite that bad... But still, I think I'd soil myself if I ever worked 40 hours a week again.

Anyhow. Enough complaining--lots of people have it tougher than I do, I'm just feelin' pissy because I'm stuck here for the holidays again, and my checking account, which was looking so robust a week ago, is back down to watery backwash in the bottom of my financial beer stein, and I haven't picked up any extra shifts yet. Otherwise, I guess I have it pretty good.

I think I'm getting used to the graveyard shift now. I've been up all night pretty much each night this week, going to sleep around 8:00 am or so. Since I was up anyways, I made a big pot of coffee and ditched the coconut-flavored creamer for some peppermint mocha, instead. It's pretty good, and I've got the Traditional Holiday Music channel playing in the background, so my mild case of Grinchy-ness has been tempered. I guess if I really want to cure it, I'm gonna have to bust out the eggnog and bourbon. But it's a little early in the day for that.

I guess that's it for now. Nothing interesting has happened lately, and writer's block has taken hold. Y'all will have to find your internet entertainment somewhere else for the next little bit.

Mikey

No comments: