Monday, December 29, 2008

The Answers

Ok everyone, now that you've had a few days to digest all of the movie quotes, I'll go ahead and give you the answers. Nobody got more than three right, so yeah, it was probably a little tougher than it needed to be. Next time, I throw in a few more gimmes.

Without further adieu...

1. We move swift. We move silent. We move deadly. Only one shake of those wangs ladies. Anymore than that constitutes pleasure and we're not in that business.

--Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway, aka Clint Eastwood, in Heartbreak Ridge. I was going back and forth between this quote or Stitch Jones saying She's got some angry titties, boy...

2. That's the one good thing about Paris: there's a lot of girls willing to take their clothes off.

--Leo DiCaprio in Titanic. I figured if I used his 'making it count' speech, everyone would have gotten it too easily.

3. You ain't from this planet are you, Vincent? Who is gonna mug two black fellas, holding pistols, sat in a car that is worth less than your shirt?

--I forget the character's name, but the line is from one of the funniest movies of all time-- Snatch.

4. This is a story you will tell your grandchildren; and mightily bored they'll be.

--NOBODY got this one, but it's rather obscure. It's from A Bridge Too Far, when they unveil the Market Garden invasion plans to the British Paratroops.

5. Luther said I could learn some things from you… I already know how to drink.

--Robert Redford in The Sting, one of my all-time favorite movies.

6. Ask your girlfriend. She's the one who's calling all the shots now. She won't shut up.

--I thought more people would get this one, but nobody did. It was from National Treasure.

7. On the most exalted throne in the world, we are seated on nothing but our own arse.

--This is also a favorite movie of mine, Otto Preminger's In Harm's Way. Every time it comes on AMC, The History Channel, or TNT, I can't help but sit and watch it. John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, and Patricia Neal starred. Henry Fonda actually uttered this line when his character, Admiral Nimitz, gave 'Rock' his Admiral's stars.

8. Ok, you've heard of Aretha Franklin right? She's a big lady. But when she sings, she blows people's minds! Everyone wants to party with Aretha! And, you know who else has a weight problem? Me. But when I get up there and start doing my thing, people worship me! Because I'm sexy, and chubby, man.

--This line is from the only Jack Black movie worth a damn. School of Rock.

9. Oh, great. You get the girl, I get the coroner.

--Kevin Spacey's character in L.A. Confidential. What a great movie all-around. And tons of great dialogue to choose from, too.

10. You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.

--I thought more people would get this one, but it was Al Capone (De Niro) in The Untouchables. Perhaps the fact that it came out 20 years ago might've had something to do with the fact that very few people knew this one.

11. I don't know about that, father. Your guy may be bigger than my guy up there, but my guy is bigger than your guy down here.

--'C' in A Bronx Tale.

12. To be with another woman, that is French. To be caught, that is American.

--Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Everybody loves this movie, and it's one of my all-time favorites. I love the twist at the end.

13. With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

--This is the easiest one of the group, as most people seemed to get this one right away. It's Ed Harris in Apollo 13.

14. You better shape up, Tiger, or some hotshot Jap pilot's gonna flame your ass!

--Charlton Heston in Midway. In Sensurround, as Marty pointed out. I saw this in the theatre in 1977 and thought it was the awesomest movie ever. And yeah, Heston's son in the picture was a whiny bitch that needed a good ass-whoopin'.

15. I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace, and it's hard on the furniture. Now, knowing a bit about Carter here, I'm going to let you go without paying for the damages, but go you will, and I mean now.

--John Cleese as the Sherriff of the town of Turley, in the movie Silverado. Probably one of the most entertaining westerns I've ever seen. I remember being on a date in high school, or shortly thereafter, and seeing it--laughed all the way through it.

16. I find that smuggling is the life for me, and would be delighted to kill your friend the maggot!

--Has anyone besides me seen the latest version of The Count of Monte Cristo?

17. Don't you sometimes feel that this is the kind of life we were meant to live on this earth? Everything we need, everything, right here, right at our fingertips. You know, if only people could have all this and be satisfied, I don't think there'd be any real problems in the world.

--The dad in Swiss Family Robinson was a wise man.

18. I regret trifling with married women. I'm thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards. I deplore my occasional departures from the truth. Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I've killed in anger… and those I am about to.

--Marty nailed this one in the comments section. It's from The Cowboys. I think I was about five years old when I saw this movie at the drive-in for the first time. Has Bruce Dern always been a dirtbag?

19. You're legally allowed to drink now, so we figured the best thing for you was a car.

--Nobody got this one? What if I said REEEEEE-TAINER!... Would you get it then? It's from Good Will Hunting.

20. Oh, he proposed to her four times already, said he would leave his wife and kids, convert from Catholic to Baptist. Now you know that's some mean pussy to make a man change Gods.

--Critics hated this movie, and it kinda bombed at the box office. But I thought it was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Harlem Nights anyone? Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy at their best.

21. Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely embarrassed yet, but you glimpse tomorrow's embarrassment?

--Tom Cruise grabs Renee Zellwegger's boob in Jerry Maguire.

22. Father Bobby would have made a good hit-man. It's a shame we lost him to the other side.

--I can't remember the character, but he was talking about Robert De Niro in Sleepers.

23. Like all Brits, he thinks he was born with a better pot to piss in.

--This would've been much easier if I'd gone with 'Greed is good'. Yeah, it was Gordon Gecko in Wall Street.

24. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol.

--This one was pretty easy, too. Everyone knows it was George C. Scott in Patton. Back in the day, I could get drunk and do that entire opening speech. I've forgotten most of it now.

25. What did you do, wake up this morning and say "Today I'm going to ruin a man's life"?

--No, not Gordon Gecko again, but close. Jack 'Trustworthy' Colton in Romancing the Stone.


So I hope everyone enjoyed it. If I do it again, I'll try and make it a little easier next time around.

Mikey

No comments: