Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Perfect Timing

It sure was nice to get back to work last night, although I was basically working for free my first hour. I had to deal two 'downs' in a free-roll tournament where the winner advanced to another tournament, and the winner of that tournament gets a seat at the World Series Main Event. Since it's a free-roll and there is no prize money, nobody tips. And that means we dealers get JACK SHIAT (free-roll = no buy-in, which means no bonus chips for staff either). That was a crappy way to kick off my work week. On the other hand, it brought bodies in, and as soon as they busted out of the tournament, for the most part they stuck around and played the cash games. So all was not lost and I made pretty good money last night after all. But that first hour sucked ass.

I was a bit nervous in the tournament at first, just because I've only dealt minor tournaments in the past--in this one, there was a $10,000 seat on the line. I didn't mess up, but I sure was glad when I finally got to the no-limit cash table.

I also got to enjoy a couple of breaks and even have dinner with Kimmy last night, so that made the day even better. She managed to work into the conversation a little reminder that it was her birthday this weekend, but I'm way ahead of her on that one. It's been circled on my calendar for months. I've already got her a card that's going in the mail tomorrow as soon as I get down to Starbucks and get her a gift card, too. Hell, if things were a bit different, she would've gotten the birthday jackpot--flowers, dinner at a nice restaurant of her choice, a top-tier show down on the Strip, and finishing off the evening at a local hillbilly bar, re-living the fun of the first time we went out. But after our little 'episode' last month where I learned just how low on her totem pole I really am, all those plans went out the window. But I'll still let her know I'm thinkin' of her, if only to remind her of what she's missing...

Anyhow, it still made my day better to be able to hang out with her for a bit. I can't help it--I'm a wuss and still can't quite get over her. And I still work my mojo whenever possible. When we were sitting there in the 'quiet room' talking, one of the dice dealers came in to use the computer and asked me how I liked dealing poker.

Oh, it's awesome, although the cocktail waitresses in the poker room aren't nearly as good as the ones in Chinatown...

I saw the grin cross her face out of the corner of my eye, and figured I better leave on a high note, so I said goodbye and went back to the poker room for my last round of tables.

The last thing I did before I hit the door was to check the tokes for the week in the pit--I got full tokes for the week, so I was expecting some good numbers. But you know how that went--it was our worst week EVER. We didn't even average a hundred bucks a night. Good lord, it was like working at Boulder Station or someplace gross like that! Ugh--what an awful week. So it looks like I timed my departure from the pit perfectly. Hell, I made twice as much in six-and-a-half hours last night in the poker room--even after working for free for the first hour--as I did in eight hours last Thursday night in the pit!

I'm not gonna miss that job at all.

Anyhow. Once I get some sleep, I'm gonna run down to Starbucks and then the post office to mail Kimmy's card (No, I can't hand deliver it--her birthday falls on her day off, so I won't see her), and then I'm thinking about heading down to Caesars to play in their afternoon No-Limit tournament. I'm still undecided about that one--I may wait until Friday to play it. Otherwise, I have no plans for the day. And I'm off today--I'm not going back to work until 11:00 pm on Thursday night, doing the graveyard shift in the poker room.

So I'll have to stir up some sort of buffoonery between now and then...

Mikey

No comments: