Friday, July 27, 2007

Just For Hoya

Talk about your weird coincidences. Just yesterday, I got bored and revisited one of my favorite posts, the one about The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game, and when I got home, there were a couple of emails from people who sent this YouTube video link.

Yep, it's cruise time again, and again this year I won't be going. But Hoya is taking an Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks, and I believe my sister Nancy and her husband are doing the same--hell they might even be on the same cruise! Anyhow, this is an amazing video, showing what happens when a cruise ship has to fight it's way through very rough seas.

A wave coming over the bow--that's gotta be at least a fifty footer. And a couple of the rolls that ship was taking, some of them looked well beyond 15 degrees. Enough to start breaking stuff and make just about everyone sick. I can't imagine how terrified people onboard must've been.



One time, coming back from Alaska, I was on a 400-foot ferry boat, and we had some very rough seas one night in the Inside Passage. The crew told us that the waves were topping out at 25 feet, and it was ridiculous--almost impossible to walk, people's bags and such sliding all over the decks, and about every third person was puking their guts out. It went on for about three hours, and I can tell you, it was a very miserable ship. Of course, I was up front, hanging from a catwalk under the bridge screaming Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! and Yeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaw! for most of the worst of it, but my buddy Buck had actually lashed himself into a chaise lounge in the solarium that was lashed to a handrail, and spent the whole time trying to puke on everything but his backpack, along with about thirty other adventure travelers who finally had to put away their hacky sacks and hold on for dear life.

Good times!

Luckily it was raining pretty hard, so the decks didn't smell too bad in the morning.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the video. And remember, do not f*ck with Mother Ocean. She can kick your ass.

Mikey

No comments: