Monday, November 13, 2006

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

I don't watch that much tv these days, but when I am watching, it's usually either ESPN or the NFL network.

We've all seen those Miller 'Man Law' commercials, and with all of the football programming I watch, I think I have uncovered a some sort of unspoken law among NFL talk shows.

Apparently, every NFL preview/highlight show must employ a token Annoying Black Man.

CBS has Shannon Sharpe, the NFL network has Deion Sanders (completely unwatchable), and ESPN gets a two-fer with Stuart Scott and Michael Irvin. Seriously, do the fans prefer the whole shuckin' and jivin' act? I don't. Do only retired wide receivers get auditions for these jobs?

Fox (being that eeeevil Republican network) doesn't do that whole Affirmative Action thing, so they're annoying studio host slot is filled nicely by one Mr. Terry Bradshaw. I'll admit, I was a youngster back in the Seventies when he was leading the Steelers to four Super Bowl wins, but I don't remember him riding that Hillbilly schtick to the point of annoyance.

Can't the highlight shows feature four guys that don't need to try so hard to get laughs? If I were King for a Day, I'd replace Michael Irvin on the NFL Countdown crew with Dan Fouts, making the panel consist of Berman, Steve Young, Dan Fouts, and Tom Jackson. That would be an enjoyable and informative show. Currently, I change the channel every time Irvin opens his yap, and sometimes I forget to go back.

Maybe I'm just grouchy because of the changes this year that took away the best football show on tv--NFL Primetime with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson. In it's new incarnation with Stuart Scott as the host, it is a complete train wreck of a program.

Because I'm watch less NFL programming, I'm certainly less informed, and my lack of success at the betting window this year reflects that.

I blame the networks!

Mikey

No comments: