Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bad Guys and Goodfellas

Ok, now that I've got my normal day-off afternoon tv watching done for the afternoon (Jim Rome, Around the Horn, Pardon the Interruption), I'm in full-on let-the-Madness-begin mode. Angy called, up to her ears in her last full day of work before making the trek westward, and of course I talked to Steve B from DC on his way to the airport--it looks like we're doing a late dinner at the Peppermill around midnight or so.

I remember those times back in Nashville before I made trips out to Vegas--it was impossible to get any work done, and I was totally bouncing off the walls waiting until that magic moment when I arrived at the airport, finally on my way. There's a lot of that going on this week at various locations around the country, and this week is shaping up to be a harmonic convergence of degenerate drunks and gamblers, all of which I'm proud to say are my people!

Kicking off the festivities here at the Hurricane Hole, I'm about a third of the way through a monster-sized glass of Diet Coke w/Lime and Malibu rum, the cd changer is full of Vegas-y tunes--everything from Elvis and the Rat Pack to Abba, and I'm sorting through my collection of Hawaiian shirts and off-color t-shirts, coordinating my wardrobe for the rest of the week. Rumor has it that there is a green feather boa in my near future, too. St Paddy's day should be a good time, and of course I'm renewing my quest to wake up with a nice redheaded Irish lass the morning after...

Ok, now that I've got the anticipation part out of the way, lets talk about the fellas from New Jersey and the baddest mofo this side of Leroy Brown, Jack Bauer.

******WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD******

First of all, I thought I'd seen every episode of the Sopranos from the previous season, but I had no idea that Janice was pregnant or that her and Bobby had a kid. And frankly, seeing her breastfeeding the munchkin was more disturbing and creepy than that whole scene where the Florida guy hung himself in the basement. It's like the time they promised nudity on NYPD Blue and it was Sipowicz's nasty ass. Ugh.

And I'm glad to see that Adriana made the obligitory dream sequence appearance. I'm hoping that her, Big Pussy, and the other popular rubouts get their own spinoff--The Sopranos, The Afterlife or something like that. Who wouldn't watch that? Of course, they also had the token scene with Dr. Melfi who, besides AJ, is the biggest drag on the show.

The big question, however, is if Tony is going to survive getting capped. I'm sure he will. But my wild-ass guess is that somehow Leotardo put Uncle Junior up to pulling the trigger, now that Johnny Sack is in the can, and Uncle Junior isn't nearly as far around the bend as he's been putting on. But that's just a guess. Who knows...next Sunday we might see another funeral and the next 15 episodes deal with the aftermath before they wrap it up for good.

But they've certainly got me interested in seeing the next installment.

As far as our friends at CTU are concerned, I knew beyond the slightest doubt last week when the previews said "Somebody from CTU will make the ultimate sacrifice..." that it would be Rudy. I would've bet the entire paycheck on it. Of course, they had to throw in the innocent security guard family man in with him so that we couldn't feel good about it.

The logic I can't seem to follow is with all the hostility that Kim is harboring towards her dad. What, they needed a soap opera sub-plot also? I can't give you what you want... Who says that to their dad? Good grief, talk about sappy.

And last night's episode jumped from sublime to ridiculous when Robocop awoke from his coma and stabbed Tony in the gut with the torture juice. What the hell? It was Michael Myers-like resurrection right there in the medical unit. And suddenly the invincible Agent Almeida folds like a cheap suit? By the way, doesn't the Robocop villain guy look a little too much like Red from That 70s Show?

And now that we have the Homeland Security gang taking over operations, we've got more of that turf-war intrigue coming that the writers seem to love, making a modern-day badass superhero like Jack Bauer have to fight not only the bad guys, but the bureaucracy hacks, also.

Clint Eastwood and John Wayne never had to answer to Division.

Mikey

No comments: